|RollerCoaster Tycoon 3|
Windows, Mac OS X, iOS
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (commonly abbreviated as RCT3) is a strategy and simulation computer game available on Windows and Mac OS X. It is the third instalment in the RollerCoaster Tycoon series and was released on October 26, 2004 in North America and November 3 in European countries.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 features two methods of gameplay; In career mode, players must complete predetermined objectives in pre-designed scenarios. In the new sandbox mode, players have unlimited time and money to create their own custom amusement parks. New features include the ability to import and export custom attractions, design custom scenarios and people (which are referred to as peeps), as well as design an in-game recorder and a fully three dimensional world players can view from all angles.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Like the previous games in the series, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is a strategy and simulation game in which players manage all aspects of an amusement park by building or removing rides, scenery and amenities, adjusting the park's finances, hiring staff, and keeping the park visitors happy. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 features two main game modes. The career mode features scenarios where players must accomplish goals, such as impressing a visiting celebrity (called a "VIPeep") or attaining a certain park rating. Each scenario has three levels of objectives, which are ranked as Apprentice, Entrepreneur, and Tycoon; the higher the level, the more challenging the goal is to complete. A third of the scenarios are playable from the start, with the rest unlocked when the player completes the objectives at each level. The second mode of play is the sandbox mode. Players are given a large, empty plot of land and unlimited funds with which to build their own custom parks .
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 includes new gameplay features such as the CoasterCam, which allows players to experience an on-ride POV of their roller coasters and other rides, and the MixMaster, which allows the player to coordinate firework shows and time them to in-game music. Unlike the two previous versions of the game (RollerCoaster Tycoon and RollerCoaster Tycoon 2), the peeps arrive in groups and show variation in gender and age, including children, teenagers and adults. A day/night cycle changes the demographics of the park's peeps; rides at night appeal to teenagers, while the daytime attracts families with children. It is possible to harm peeps, but will never die as they did in the previous titles, nor will they drown when placed in water. This change was most likely for user-friendly issues. Parks now have opening and closing times, and the time of day is displayed. Scenery is divided into themes to customize parks, with western-, spooky-, sci fi- and adventure-theme sets. Another feature is the ability to import coasters from the previous games in the series into RCT3.
The game uses full 3D graphics instead of the isometric viewpoint of the previous games; this means that players can rotate and zoom the view of the park to any degree. However, there is an option to fix the camera's rotation to isometric angles, as in the previous games.
When roller coaster cars (or vehicles from any other type of tracked ride) derail from the tracks, they explode after a short period, whilst in the older games, they exploded on contact with the ground.
Although the core features RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is based on the previous games, Chris Sawyer, the developer of the first two games, acted only as a consultant, as the game was developed by Frontier Developments instead, and published and advertised by Atari.
Content[edit | edit source]
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 included many real roller coaster models, however due to the limitations of the track builder not all could be constructed in a realistic manner.
|In-game name||Game||Real-world equivalent|
|Air Powered Coaster||RCT3||S&S air-powered coaster (HyperSonic XLC, Do-Dodonpa)|
|Alpine coaster||Soaked!||Alpine coaster|
|Bobsleigh||RCT3||Mack Rides bobsled roller coaster|
|Compact Inverted Coaster||RCT3||Vekoma's Suspended Looping Coaster|
|Corkscrew Coaster||RCT3||Arrow Dynamics' Corkscrew and looping roller coasters, Vekoma MK-1200 track|
|Dizzy Dropper||Wild!||Cancelled Turbulence project at Hersheypark, Wilde Hide at Schwaben Park|
|Extended Coaster||Wild!||Bolliger & Mabillard track with various B&M cars and Maurer AG cars|
|Floorless Roller Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's Floorless Coaster|
|Flying Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's Flying Coaster|
|Flying Turns||RCT3||Wooden bobsled track, Intamin bobsled coaster cars|
|Giga Coaster||RCT3||Millennium Force at Cedar Point|
|Glider Coaster||Soaked!||Zamperla's Volare|
|Half-Pipe Coaster||Soaked!||Intamin's Half Pipe|
|Heartline Coaster||RCT3||TOGO's Ultratwister|
|Hershey's Stormrunner||Soaked!||StormRunner at Hersheypark|
|Hyper Coaster||RCT3||Arrow Dynamics' Hyper Coaster|
|Hyper Twister Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard and Giovanola's hyper coaster|
|Inverted Impulse Coaster||RCT3||Intamin's Impulse Coaster|
|Inverted Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's Inverted Coaster|
|Inverted Hairpin Coaster||RCT3||Reverchon's Gliding Coaster|
|Inverted Shuttle Coaster||RCT3||Vekoma's Invertigo|
|Inverted Vertical Shuttle||RCT3||Vekoma's Giant Inverted Boomerang|
|Inverted Wild Mouse||RCT3||S&S' Screaming Squirrel (specifically Afterburner at Wonder Island)|
|Junior Coaster||RCT3||Trains resemble that of a Zierer Tivoli|
|LIM Launched Coaster||RCT3||Premier Rides' LIM launched coaster|
|Lay Down Roller Coaster||RCT3||Vekoma's Flying Dutchman|
|Looping Roller Coaster||RCT3||Schwarzkopf looping trains|
|Mine Ride||RCT3||Mack Rides' powered roller coaster|
|Mine Train Coaster||RCT3||Similar to a Vekoma mine train, but with only two rows per car|
|Mini Coaster||RCT3||Schwarzkopf Jet Star and Wildcat cars|
|Mini Suspended Coaster||RCT3||Similar to Caripro's Batflyer|
|Mini Suspended Flying Coaster||RCT3||Similar to Skytrak at Granada Studios|
|Multidimension Coaster||RCT3||Arrow Dynamics and S&S' 4th Dimension roller coaster|
|Pipeline Coaster||RCT3||Arrow Dynamics' prototype pipeline coaster|
|Reverse Freefall Coaster||RCT3||Intamin's Reverse Freefall Coaster|
|Reverser Coaster||RCT3||A postcard shows at least one was built|
|Roller-Soaker||Soaked!||Roller Soaker at Hersheypark|
|Rotating Tower Coaster||Wild!||None|
|Sea Serpent Shuttle||Soaked!||Pax Company's Cobra|
|Side Friction Coaster||RCT3||Side Friction roller coaster|
|Sky Rider||Soaked!||Caripro's GyroFlyer|
|Spinning Steel||Wild!||Mack Rides' Spinning Coaster|
|Spinning Wild Mouse||RCT3||Reverchon's Spinning Coaster|
|Spiral Coaster||RCT3||Schwarzkopf's Jet Star II/Jet Star 3|
|Standup Coaster||RCT3||TOGO's standup coaster|
|Standup Twister Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's standup coaster|
|StaraCoaster||RCT3||Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point|
|Suspended Swinging Coaster||RCT3||Arrow Dynamics' Suspended Coaster and Vekoma's Swinging Turns|
|Tilt Coaster||RCT3||Tilting element from Gravity Max at Lihpao Land, however the game has Arrow-style cars rather than Vekoma cars|
|Towering Coaster||Wild!||SBF Visa Group's Tower Coaster (Fear Coaster/Cool & Fresh)|
|Turbo Bikes||Soaked!||Vekoma's motorbike roller coaster|
|Twister Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's Sitting Coaster|
|Vertical Drop Coaster||RCT3||Bolliger & Mabillard's Dive Coaster|
|Virginia Reel||RCT3||Virginia Reel|
|Water Coaster||RCT3||Water roller coaster|
|Wild Mouse Coaster||RCT3||Wild Mouse roller coaster|
|Wooden Coaster||RCT3||Typical wooden two-bench and three-bench cars and Millennium Flyer-esque articulated trains|
|Wooden Wild Mine||RCT3||Unknown|
|Wooden Wild Mouse||RCT3||Old wooden Wild Mouse roller coasters|
Expansion Packs[edit | edit source]
Two expansion packs for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 were released - Soaked! and Wild!. A bundle, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Gold, was also released, including the original game and the Soaked! expansion pack; this was followed by RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum (Deluxe for the EU version of the game), including both expansion packs and the original game.
Both expansion packs added ability to build underground (although it is available without the expansion pack in the form of an update patch).
Soaked![edit | edit source]
Soaked!, the first expansion pack, allows the player to build water parks, including swimming pools and water slides, and adds more ride types and scenery to the original game, along with the ability to add waterfalls. Water jets and lasers were added to the MixMaster. Two additional themes were included with this expansion pack; Paradise Island and Atlantis. A new type of footpath, called "Underwater Tunnel", could go underwater (unlike all the other footpaths types). Soaked! contains many new ride types (including the Roller Soaker).
Wild![edit | edit source]
Wild!, the second expansion pack, allows the player to build animal exhibits and safari rides which can travel through an exhibit. this expansion pack also and adds more ride types and scenery to the original game. The expansion pack contained many new ride types; including the popular Extended Coaster which had many track pieces, both new and old.
User created content[edit | edit source]
Like its predecessor, RCT3 has the ability to import user-created content into the game, such as rides, trains and scenery objects. Many of these custom objects are available to download from the internet.
Entire parks and custom scenarios can also be extracted from the game and shared between players.
Cheats & Easter Eggs[edit | edit source]
Renaming peeps certain names can unlock various Easter eggs and cheats.
- John D Rockefeller: Increase your money by 10,000
- Chris Sawyer: All peeps applaud you & jump into the air
- Mouse: All the peeps in the park stop what they're doing and stare at the cursor.
- Guido Fawkes: Enables the Advanced firework editor (Usage: Scenery -> Firework Mixmaster -> Fireworks Displays -> Add firework display -> Advanced firework editor).
- Atari: All peeps applaud you
- James Hunt: A dune buggy appears that you can control (exit coasterCam and delete as scenery when done)
- D Lean: Opens the Flying Camera routes editor (also available through Ctrl + Shift + 0 without using the cheat).
- A Hitchcock: Many birds come to your park.
- PhotoStory: All peeps take group photos.
- ATITech: Every Person (both guests & staff) move super fast, though the game time passes at normal speed (rides & coasters do not speed up) (Expires after 20 seconds).
- Make Me Sick: All guests vomit and nausea is reduced to zero.
- Jonny Watts: PeepCam (Opens CoasterCam and sets it right over the head of the peep you just renamed).
- John Wardley: No maximum height.
- Frontier: Rides never break down.
- Jon Roach: Peeps ride all rides.
- Sam Denney: Peeps ride all coasters.
- Atomic: Normally, when a vehicle from a tracked ride explodes, nearby peeps will be pushed away by invisible shockwaves. With this cheat active, the power of these shockwaves drastically increased.
- Andrew Thomas: Decreases track friction, which can make coasters go faster along their tracks. (v1a Beta Patch needed)
- David Braben: Allows for extremely fast lift and launch speeds. (v1a Beta Patch needed)
- Andrew Gillett: Removes the friction on roller coasters. (v1a Beta Patch needed)
- Mornington Crescent: This allows building shops etc. underground. (Soaked! expansion pack needed)
- David Walsh: This enables the ability to make the user interface invisible using CTRL+U once the cheat is active. This is useful for taking screen shots. Pressing CTRL+U again to makes the user interface visible again. (Soaked! expansion pack needed)
- M Brookes: Enables the ability to place wall pieces and other scenery items on the edge of footpaths. (Soaked! expansion pack needed)
- Alistair Lindsay: Alters the speed at which some sound effects are played at pause, fast and fastest. (Soaked! expansion pack needed)
- Rick Griffiths: Changes the inside of the underground tunnel from rubble to sharks on all sides. (Soaked! expansion pack needed)
- Rabbit: Animals constantly breed (Should make your animals reproduce very quickly, like rabbits).(Wild! expansion pack needed)
- Alvin Swazonegger: Allows long billboard movies. (Wild! expansion pack needed)
RCT3 Fansites[edit | edit source]
- RCTgo - A website with forums and loads of custom content.
- RCT Wiki - The wiki dedicated to RollerCoaster Tycoon
- RCT Grotto - A division of Coaster Grotto with lots of downloads for all three Tycoon games.
|RollerCoaster Tycoon series|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon • 2 • 3 • 3D • 4 Mobile • World • Classic|