Coasterpedia (The Roller Coaster Wiki) is a wiki that documents roller coasters, amusement parks and all related companies, people and technology. Founded on Template:Date, it currently has 7,579 articles, almost all of which can be edited by you. It runs on MediaWiki, the same software used on Wikipedia. Currently, the project is hosted by Dreamhost on a Linux shared-server. Coasterpedia is a non-profit, independent wiki with no advertisements whatsoever.
A brief history
The wiki was started on Wikia on Template:Date by Kirby22. As is usual on Wikia, the founder created a handful of pages then disappeared. After almost one year, MontagnaMagica picks up the website and put lots of time in. Coasterpedia began to gain popularity, and numerous users came and went. A handful of users were promoted to admins.
As time went on, various admins have left the website. One of the admins at the time, User:Lachlan, proposed creating a new Coasterpedia on a free wiki host. The site was eventually moved to a shared server.
Because of the downgraded cPanel interface and the general controversy surrounding GoDaddy, I switched hosting to Arvixe in June 2015. After a number of images became corrupted and dealing with a useless tech support team, I switched again, this time over to Dreamhost. While it's not the cheapest option out there, I would recommend Dreamhost to anyone looking to set up a small website. I can't fault their service.
History of hosting:
- April 2013 - June 2015 GoDaddy
- June 2015 - April 2017 Arvixe
- April 2017 - present Dreamhost
The aim of Coasterpedia is to collect the world's knowledge of roller coasters into one place.
- For searching for roller coasters based on certain parameters, and for pictures and statistics, see the RCDB
- For a map of roller coasters across the world, see Coast2Coaster
- For counting your ridden roller coasters, and for pictures and information on travelling roller coasters, see Coaster-Count
- For articles, historical information, lists and Creative Commons licensed images, this is the website you are looking for
Coasterpedia is not affiliated with any of the links posted on this page.
In March 2014, the default skin was changed to a modified version of Refreshed, developed by Brickimedia. This skin has several advantages to Vector. It adapts to fit mobile phones, tablets and desktops. Also, content looks less stretched on very large screens. It's also quite pretty, in my opinion!
Alternative skins Vector, MonoBook, CologneBlue, and Modern are still available in user preferences.
Coasterpedia should be compatible with all recent web browsers. Please report any issues you face. If you're stuck with an older browser (such as Internet Explorer) we recommend using the Monobook or Vector skins.
I'm going to leave out the highly popular roller coaster websites you're probably already aware of here. Please feel free to contact us about this list.
- The Coaster Consortium - A large Facebook group I occasionally contribute to.
- Schwarzkopf Coaster Net - A very interesting little website with lots of photographs and statistics on Schwarzkopf rides.
- NewsPlusNotes - A blog with news from all over the industry.
- Vertical Horizons - A blog focusing on the rapidly expanding amusement park industry in China and other countries.
- Coast2Coaster - Plots theme parks on Google maps, great for planning trips
Looking for a wiki host? Check out ShoutWiki - a service which allow wikis to be built, for free, on the MediaWiki software.