|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Manufacturer||Bolliger & Mabillard|
|Type||Steel - Winged - Out and Back|
|Riders per train||32|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||67 mph|
GateKeeper is a steel winged located at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, USA. It is one of the largest Wing Coasters built by Bolliger & Mabillard. Both Disaster Transport and Space Spiral (an Observation Tower) were removed from the park to make room for the ride. The attraction opened on May 11, 2013.
The lead car from one of GateKeeper's trains was on show at Bolliger & Mabillard's IAAPA booth in 2013.
The ride opened on May 11, 2013.
GateKeeper was the fastest and tallest Bolliger & Mabillard Wing Coaster when it opened. The coaster itself is described as a “front gate statement— a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park."
There are two "keyhole" elements — narrow slots which the coaster passes through — which form part of the entrance to Cedar Point.
The train is hoisted up a 170 foot lift hill at a 40 degree angle. Once riders crest the top of the lift hill, the train will rotate 180 degrees to the right and the train will fall down the 164 foot drop, reaching speeds of 67 mph. The roller coaster then rolls through a 140 foot adjacent immelmann, and then coasts over a 105 foot foot camelback hill. Followed by a "giant flat spin" and through a zero-g roll—which includes two key-hole towers. At the bottom of the zero-g roll, the train coasts through an inclined diving loop, then through an inline roll adjacent to the keyhole towers. The train continues through a mid-course brake-run, a camelback drop, a 360° helix, a small bunny hop and then into the main brakes.
On June 12, 2021, the lift chain broke causing a train to become stuck on the lift hill. Riders had to be evacuated via the stairs adjacent to the lift hill. GateKeeper is closed to allow the chain to be replaced. It reopened toward the end of July.
- "Cedar Point’s Record Breaking Winged Roller Coaster, the GateKeeper, for 2013". Blooloop. https://blooloop.com/news/cedar-points-record-breaking-winged-roller-coaster-the-gatekeeper-for-2013/.
- Koehl, Jim (2013-05-11). "Gatekeeper opens to the public at Cedar Point". Theme Park Insider. https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201305/3477/. Retrieved 2021-06-04.
- "GateKeeper - CP America's Roller Coast". http://www.cpinsiders.net/gatekeeper.html.
- "GateKeeper roller coaster breaks down at Cedar Point". Ohio News Time. 2021-06-14. https://ohionewstime.com/gatekeeper-roller-coaster-breaks-down-at-cedar-point-2/181028/. Retrieved 2021-06-15.
- "Cedar Point". Screamscape. Archived from the original on 2021-07-29. https://web.archive.org/web/20210729170509/https://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm. Retrieved 2021-08-02.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Highest inversion on a roller coaster|
May 11, 2013 – May 3, 2019
Volcano The Blast Coaster
|Highest inversion on a roller coaster
May 11, 2013 – May 3, 2019