|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Type||Steel - Hyper - Terrain|
|Riders per train||28|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||85 mph|
Phantom's Revenge is a steel hyper terrain roller coaster located at Kennywood in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, USA. It reuses some of the hardware from Steel Phantom, an Arrow Dynamics Custom Looping Coaster that operated from 1991 to 2000.
Steel Phantom had received mixed reviews, as some praised the unique and thrilling experience, but others criticized the rough and head-banging ride experience. Due to declining ridership and decreasing guest satisfaction, Kennywood announced on March 5, 2000 that they would dismantle Steel Phantom after less than a decade of operation. A replacement had not been decided on at the time. After receiving complaints and emails, on August 10, 2000, Kennywood announced that Steel Phantom would not be removed, but rather Morgan would be rebuilding much of Steel Phantom. The ride closed on September 4, 2000, for its conversion into Phantom's Revenge. Morgan removed most of Steel Phantom's track, leaving just the lift hill, the biggest drop, and the brake run.
Phantom's Revenge opened on May 19, 2001. Phantom's Revenge has no inversions and uses lap bars and seatbelts instead of the over-the-shoulder harnesses, which hurt riders' heads and necks during Steel Phantom's inversions. Morgan replaced most of the track except the first two hills and supplied new trains. In 2002, additional work was carried out to allow the ride to run two trains simultaneously.
In August 2021, a former lead car from Phantom's Revenge was auctioned by Kennywood on eBay, with the money raised given to charity. The following month, it was observed that new colors were being tested on a section of track. The park subsequently announced that it would repaint Phantom's Revenge for 2022, and it launched an online poll allowing people to vote on their choice of two track colors. Guests could vote between the track color "Petrifying Purple" or "Terrifying Teal." The track color Petrifying Purple won. The ride's repainting began in October 2021.
- "90s Steel Coasters - Part One". Ultimate Rollercoaster. http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1980_1990/90s_part_one.shtml.
- "Kennywood will replace Steel Phantom coaster". Star-Gazette. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/87933547/kennywood-will-replace-steel-phantom/.
- Kennywood Unveils Steel Phantom Replacement for 2001 - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- "90s Steel Coasters - Part One". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1980_1990/90s_part_one.shtml.
- "Revenge not really the motive for new Kennywood coaster". https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2001-05-20-3357063-story.html.
- "ON THIS DAY: May 19, 2001, Reworked Steel Phantom debuts as Phantom’s Revenge at Kennywood Park". WPXI-TV. https://www.wpxi.com/archive/this-day-may-19-2001-reworked-steel-phantom-debuts-phantoms-revenge-kennywood-park/Q6OLVYT5FNAKLG3YIVL55VWSZA/.
- Phantom's Revenge To Offer Two Train Operation in 2002 - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- Guza, Megan (2021-08-17). "Piece of Kennywood's Phantom's Revenge up for auction". Trib Live. https://triblive.com/local/south-hills/piece-of-kennywoods-phantoms-revenge-up-for-auction/. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Help Kennywood Pick Phantom's Revenge's New Track Color for 2022". NewsPlusNotes. 2021-09-06. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2021/09/help-kennywood-pick-phantoms-revenges.html. Retrieved 2021-09-08.
- "Fans select new color for Kennywood’s Phantom’s Revenge roller coaster". https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/fans-select-new-color-kennywoods-phantoms-revenge-roller-coaster/7TFATYA755HNJM3YMUFQOEB6IQ/.
- "Kennywood Begins Repainting Phantom’s Revenge With ‘Petrifying Purple’". CBS Pittsburgh. https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/10/14/phantoms-revenge-petrifying-purple-repaint/.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.