|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Designer / calculations||Karel Willemen|
|Type||Steel - Water|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||70 km/h|
De Vliegende Hollander is a steel water roller coaster located at Efteling in Kaatsheuvel, North Brabant, Netherlands. The attraction was originally scheduled to open in 2006, but the opening was delayed to 2007.
In November 2004, park director Ronald van der Zijl confirmed that a new attraction was planned for 2006, at a cost of €20 million. Construction began in early 2005. In January 2006, an opening date of April 16 was set. However in March, Efteling announced that the opening was postponed, as the roller coaster was not yet ready. In June, the park announced that Vliegende Hollander would not open until the following year.
On June 9, 2006, due to a problem with the chain lift hill, a car rolled back, damaging the boat, track and the anti-rollback mechanism. It was determined that the entrance to the 45 degree lift hill had to be altered. The park brought in Intamin to complete this.
In March 2007, a new opening date of April 1 was set. A preview event was held on March 24, after which the various special effects were tuned.
De Vliegende Hollander is a water roller coaster manufactured by KumbaK.
De Vliegende Hollander has eleven cars but only operates nine at any one time. Each car has four rows. The first and third row seats three riders while the second and fourth rows seat four.
The coaster is located in the "Ruigrijk" (roughly translating to "Thrillrealm") area of the park.
De Vliegende Hollander is Dutch for The Flying Dutchman.
De Vliegende Hollander is themed to the legend of the same name. The tale tells of Willem van der Decken, a once renowned captain, now resorting to stealing and plundering. Until he set sail on Easter, making him, his ship and his crew hit a terrible storm, turning them all into ghosts. They now haunt the seas, and everyone who comes in contact with the ship will meet a terrible fate.
- ↑ "Vliegende Hollander Special (1): Van gerucht tot werkelijkheid". Nieuwsrijk. http://nieuwsrijk.nl/nieuws/vliegende-hollander-special-1-van-gerucht-tot-werkelijkheid/.
- ↑ "Flying Dutchman Special (5): A big setback". Nieuwsrijk. http://nieuwsrijk.nl/nieuws/vliegende-hollander-special-5-een-flinke-tegenslag/.
- ↑ "Vliegende Hollander Special (6): Het laatste probleem". Nieuwsrijk. http://nieuwsrijk.nl/nieuws/vliegende-hollander-special-6-het-laatste-probleem/.
- ↑ "Vliegende Hollander Special (8): Vuurdoop tijdens Sneak Preview". Nieuwsrijk. http://nieuwsrijk.nl/nieuws/vliegende-hollander-special-8-vuurdoop-tijdens-sneak-preview/.
- Vliegende Hollander on the Roller Coaster DataBase.