Prior to its opening, a contest was held to name the new ride. The ride opened as Ye Olde Log Flume in 1978, but was renamed to just The Flume in the early 1990s. It was removed in 2008 to accommodate an expansion of the adjacent water park.
On June 28, 1994, an 11-year-old girl was left in a critical condition after climbing out of a boat and becoming pinned under another one underwater. The girl reportedly became frightened as the boat was about to climb the 45 foot tall lift hill.
- "Wisconsin boy dies after fall from water ride at megamall", Star Tribune.
- "Valleyfair advertisement", Star Tribune.
- "A Look Back at Valleyfair Through the Years". Valleyfair. https://www.valleyfair.com/blog/2019/december/a-look-back-at-valleyfair-through-the-years.
- "VF The Flume...gone.". Coaster Buzz. https://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/vf-the-flumegone.
- "Girl leaves ride early, is injured", Star Tribune.