|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Type||Steel - Water|
|Propulsion||Three chain lift hills|
|Top speed||50 mph|
Journey to Atlantis is a water roller coaster located at SeaWorld Orlando in Orlando, Florida, USA. Opened on April 17, 1998, the ride combines roller coaster elements, such as chain lifts and steep drops, with boat-based attraction elements, such as splashdown landings. The attraction contains elements of a dark ride, such as slow-moving sections and lots of animatronics and theming. It is also notable for being the first Mack Rides Water Coaster.
Journey to Atlantis was announced on March 20, 1997. The ride debuted on April 17, 1998.
In January 2017, the ride closed for a refurbishment that saw elements of the ride changed to be more family-friendly. It reopened in March 2017.
As the boat departs the station, passengers travel through a dark ride portion. A male holding a seahorse will then say "Go, Hermes. Show them the way. Wait. Hermes must guide you." The seahorse turns into a Greek god named Hermes. Magic sparkles around the walls as the boat continues through a coral reef. A mermaid named Allura says "Welcome friends. Do not be afraid. Come closer. All I give you the magic." The boat then enters a scenery that resembles a city. A statue of a female and fountains can be seen in the area. As the boat keeps going, a projector shows Allura turning into Medusa. After navigating the dark ride portion, passengers will hear thunder as strobing lights are seen on a statue. This statue is above the first chain lift hill. During the first chain lift hill, a green light will flash. At the top, the door opens and the boat heads outside. Passengers travel through the exterior of the temple and make a left turn as Beetlejuice music is heard on the speakers. The boat then passes through an archway and climbs the second chain lift hill. As the boat reaches the top, water geysers will be activated and passengers will then hear the announcer on the speaker saying "Please sit upright and hold on tight, then brace yourself for a sudden slope at the bottom of the hill." Passengers make a left turn and go straight into a chamber. After that, passengers drop into the water. The boat makes a right turn passing the scenery. Passengers encounter a conveyor belt lift, which leads into a small drop. Then Allura on speaker says, "I left so soon. I think not." Soon afterwards, the boat climbs the third chain lift hill as the speakers play the same music, along with the announcer. Then, the boat heads back into the building. Once inside, the boat makes a right turn and Allura will say "Now you will escape my sirens! You'll be mine forever!" As a vanishing sound effect is heard, passengers approach an S-curve drop into the water. The boat passes through more scenery until passengers make a right turn. After a conveyor belt lift, the boat returns to the station.
Single car trains. Riders are arranged 2 across in 4 rows for a total of 8 riders per car.
- ↑ "Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld Orlando - COASTER-net". https://www.coaster-net.com/journey-to-atlantis-at-seaworld-orlando.html.
- ↑ "The Theme Park History of Journey To Atlantis (SeaWorld Orlando)". Theme Park History. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2L6bFTtZ2I. Retrieved April 19, 2020.
- ↑ "JOURNEY TO ATLANTIS WILL BE A WILD RIDE FOR SEA WORLD VISITORS". https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1997-03-21-9703201713-story.html.
- ↑ "VISITORS CAN RETURN TO ATLANTIS AT SEAWORLD ORLANDO". https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1998-04-19-3203293-story.html.
- ↑ "Evil mermaids removed from Journey to Atlantis ride at SeaWorld Orlando". https://attractionsmagazine.com/evil-mermaids-removed-from-journey-to-atlantis-ride-at-seaworld-orlando/.
- Journey to Atlantis on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|SeaWorld OrlandoArticles on|