|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|The first inversions|
|Manufacturer||Bolliger & Mabillard|
|Product||Custom Wing Coaster|
|Type||Steel - Launched - Winged|
|Riders per train||20|
|Top speed||60 mph|
The ride was announced on July 24, 2014. It is the first launched roller coaster in the United States to have winged seats and the first LSM-launched roller coaster built by Bolliger & Mabillard. Thunderbird opened on April 25, 2015.
The train leaves the loading area and travels slowly forward before coming to a halt, remaining in the station building with the launch track visible ahead. Smoke is released and the train begins accelerating as riders hear thunder claps. After reaching a speed of 60 mph the train heads into the 140 foot tall immelmann. After inverting riders the train pulls out to the right and dives to the ground. A 125 foot tall vertical loop follows.
Riders are then sent through a pair of turns called an over-banked pretzel knot, referred to by the park as an "overbanked horseshoe" followed by an "overbanked elevated spiral". The train then travels through a zero-g roll and an "s-curve" — a 90-degree right turn followed by a small airtime hill and a 90-degree left-hand turn.
The next element is a "carousel" — a 270 degree left-hand turn, the entrance and exit of which pass through a derelict barn providing two near misses. Thunderbird finishes with an in-line twist, taking riders into the brake run. The train takes a 90 degree right-hand turn and travels past the transfer track and into the station.
2 trains with 5 cars per train. In each car, riders are arranged 4 across in a single row, for a total of 20 riders per train. The lead car from one of Thunderbird's trains was on show at B&M's IAAPA booth in 2014.
- Holiday World unveils park's first major steel roller coaster - WDRB
- "Orange is the New Track!..." - Holiday World Facebook post
- Holiday World Completes Thunderbird's Track - NewsPlusNotes
- "Holiday World unveils ‘Thunderbird,’ park’s $22 million steel roller coaster". https://cbs4indy.com/news/holiday-world-unveils-thunderbird-parks-22-million-steel-roller-coaster/.
- "Thunderbird: Out To Launch - Dubois County Herald". https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/thunderbird-out-to-launch.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Holiday WorldArticles on|