|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Designer / calculations||Ron Toomer|
|Type||Steel - Suspended - Terrain|
|Riders per train||28|
|Propulsion||Two chain lift hills|
|Top speed||48 mph|
Big Bad Wolf was a steel suspended terrain roller coaster built by Arrow Dynamics located at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA. It operated from June 15, 1984 to September 7, 2009. A train, track section, support materials, and the sign package were donated to the National Roller Coaster Museum for display.
Busch Gardens Williamsburg had originally signed a contract with Schwarzkopf GmbH to built the company's suspended roller coaster for the 1984 season. However, the park ultimately pulled out of the deal, forfeiting a $500,000 deposit, as the delivery of the project was delayed due to the bankruptcy of Schwarzkopf in 1983. Arrow Dynamics (then Arrow-HUSS) was subsequently hired to build the roller coaster. Originally planned to open in March 1984, Big Bad Wolf's opening was delayed. However, the ride debuted on June 15, 1984.
The coaster faced some issues during its opening year. By 1985, it was running more reliable. Big Bad Wolf operated normally for the rest of the decade and the entire 1990s.
After Arrow Dynamics went bankrupt in 2002, spare parts became harder to find. While it remained very popular throughout its life span, Busch Gardens Williamsburg announced the closure of Big Bad Wolf on July 24, 2009. After 25 years, the ride officially closed on September 7, 2009, the same year Grover's Alpine Express opened. In 2012, the roller coaster was replaced by Verbolten, which reused some of Big Bad Wolf's footers on the drop. A train, some track, uniforms, and other Big Bad Wolf artifacts were donated to the National Roller Coaster Museum.
The ride had two chain lift hills, the first being 50 feet tall and the second 100 feet.
- "Theme park still planning new coaster", Daily Press.
- "Top 10 Re-Used Roller Coaster Remnants". Theme Park Crazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymmr7HXcQ78. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- "Big Bad Wolf won't howl after Sept. 7", Daily Press (July 25, 2009), pp. A16. Retrieved on January 7, 2022.
- "Verbolten Opening At Busch Gardens Williamsburg On May 18th". https://behindthethrills.com/2012/04/verbolten-opening-at-busch-gardens-williamsburg-on-may-18th/.
- "Artifacts continue to roll into NRCMA". Amusement Today. http://amusementtoday.com/backissues/at_january_2010_web.pdf.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Busch Gardens WilliamsburgArticles on|