|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Type||Steel - Launched|
|Propulsion||2 LSM launches|
|Top speed||53 mph|
Verbolten is a Zierer launched roller coaster located at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA. The ride uses the location of the former Big Bad Wolf, an Arrow suspended coaster, which opened in 1984 and closed in 2009.
The addition of Verbolten was announced on September 17, 2011.
Verbolten opened on May 18, 2012.
Verbolten features two launches and numerous sounds and lights in the enclosed section. The same famous drop formerly found on Big Bad Wolf has been replicated in this design. The ride also has a vertical drop track.
The name "Verbolten" is a play on the German word verboten, which means forbidden. The attraction takes riders on a high-speed drive on the German autobahn before venturing into the forbidden Black Forest.
As the train exits the station, riders hear a paragraph that says, "Remember, don't look back as you brave the Black Forest!" The train makes a left and right turn. After the right turn, the train accelerates from 0 mph to 45 mph in 2.3 seconds into a building. The building has lights and sound effects in total darkness. After a short drop, riders go pass an over-banked curve and a helix. The train goes through a block brake and makes a left turn. Riders will slowly move along, as sounds are heard. A vertical drop track then plunges the train 18 feet. Three different sequences can be played before the drop:
- Forest Spirit
- Wolves (which is a reference to Verbolten's predecessor)
Riders exit the building by launching from 0 mph to 53 mph in 2.7 seconds. The train hits an s-curve and a block brake, reaching a max height of 88 feet. Riders then drop 88 feet near the water, reusing some of Big Bad Wolf's footers. This drop is a tribute to Big bad Wolf's iconic drop over the water. Riders then pass an s-curve and glide into the final brake run.
- "Busch Gardens Williamsburg to add Verbolten coaster for 2012". Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/19/news/la-trb-verbolten-busch-gardens-coaster-09201119.
- "Verbolten Opening At Busch Gardens Williamsburg On May 18th". https://behindthethrills.com/2012/04/verbolten-opening-at-busch-gardens-williamsburg-on-may-18th/.
- "Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Reviews & Info". https://www.themeparktourist.com/guides/busch-gardens-williamsburg/verbolten.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Busch Gardens WilliamsburgArticles on|