|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Designer / calculations||Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH|
|Type||Steel - Spinning|
|Product||Xtended SC 2200|
|Riders per train||4|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Area||62 metres × 55 metres|
Spinball Whizzer opened on 27 March 2004. The ride was loosely based on a giant pinball machine.
For 2010, the roller coaster was repainted and renamed Sonic Spinball as part of a three year partnership with SEGA which also saw Sonic themed rooms added to the Alton Towers Hotel. This was extended by another three years, with the ride returning to its original theme for the 2016 season. It also received new theme music for 2016 from IMAScore.
Spinball Whizzer is the only Xtended SC 2200 ever built by Maurer.
- "Spinball Whizzer". TowersStreet. https://towersstreet.com/theme-park/ride/spinball-whizzer/.
- "SEGA Confirms Alton Towers Tie-In". Nintendo Life. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/01/sega_confirms_alton_towers_tie_in.
- "The Sonic Spinball Ride at Alton Towers has now Closed". Sonic Stadium. https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/03/the-sonic-spinball-ride-at-alton-towers-has-closed/.
- "Portfolio". IMAScore. https://www.imascore.com/portfolio.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.