|Product||Free Fall Tower|
Nemesis Sub-Terra last operated in June 2015. At the time, Alton Towers cited "design changes" as the reason for the closure.
The building and queue line were used for a Scarefest Scare attraction called Project 42, themed around the search for a cure for a deadly mutating virus. This ran for 2 Scarefest events, 2018 and again in 2019.
With the impending closure of the main Nemesis ride, various bits of work has been spotted happening in and around the old Sub-Terra building across the 2022 season.
- In July, TowersStreet reported on a pile of lights being left in the pre-show area.
- In August, lights were seen on in the batching area with alarms going off regularly, suggesting there is testing happening with certain elements of the attraction
- In October, construction fencing was added to the exterior and the old rotted queue line floor ripped up.
The theme is a a continuation of the Nemesis story. It centered around the Phalanx, the fictional organisation responsible for the Nemesis creature. It featured a pre show in the queue line all about the Phalanx and other operations around the world, including the second Nemesis creature at Thorpe Park. Subjects were instructed to leave all valuables with the bag drop before making their way inside.
Sub-Terra was a victim of the Smiler incident in 2015 when Alton Towers announced 6 rides were to close due to reduced visitor numbers. The other affected rides included Hex, Ripsaw and The Flume. The only closed ride to see further use was Hex.
On the 17th May 2023 , an email came from Alton Towers was sent to subscribers with the title 'Your invitation to the Phalanx Research Facility' announcing the reopening of the ride to the public. A link on the page revealed the reopening date as the 27th of May.
- "Alton Towers names new ride ‘Nemesis Sub-Terra’". RideRater. 2012-01-01. https://riderater.co.uk/1395/alton-towers-names-new-ride-nemesis-sub-terra/. Retrieved 2021-09-13.
- "Review: Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers". RideRater. 2012-03-25. https://riderater.co.uk/1602/review-nemesis-sub-terra-at-alton-towers/. Retrieved 2021-09-13.
- "Alton Towers reopens rides following accident". RideRater. 2015-06-15. https://riderater.co.uk/5022/alton-towers-reopens-rides-following-accident/. Retrieved 2021-09-13.
- "Project 42 – Access All Areas". TowersTimes. 19th November 2018. https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/news/2018/11/19/project-42-access-all-areas/. Retrieved 10th November 2022.
- "A look back ar Project 42". TowersTimes Facebook. 14th October 2022. https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/posts/pfbid023NyhZLRonA3QsUBZnRaSwxmafQVWHn789JsTPyhwz3yUZRbTe4g2U1cgff72j8vWl. Retrieved 10th November 2022.
- "Pile of lights spotted in batching area". TowersStreet Facebook. 5th July 2022. https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet/posts/pfbid02oKWGgnvWDEBcZ7SQTMSGbWRHDtPaizm1NsK9XhNwqqfHbTujcWD8qLt6bJPqkimml. Retrieved 10th November 2022.
- "Further activity on SubTerra Site". TowersTimes Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/posts/pfbid036mfWX7okLi2q9qWZgmYJL22te9M4XyfxcLdaqBzyAKt73SrhakfvLUoFQJkFqKFSl.
- "Hive of activity around Subterra". TowersStreet Facebook. 11th October 2022. https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet/posts/pfbid02kmCUGodfKviFPxdsd9MSthDtz73VPxXGGa9neGLZTZnu5baTzNVrgEFVd8YvVvxyl. Retrieved 10th November 2022.
- "Wooden Flooring ripped up". TowersTimes Facebook. 14th October 2022. https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/posts/pfbid0XQgUthxAm6pbcGVHaBk721ZEW2cUzaPv5SsTy66rCbqhafYbTQbwqVZ9UiPAwxQFl. Retrieved 10th November 2022.
- "Alton Towers 'set to close SIX rides next year as Smiler crash due to "human error"'". The Mirror. 24 Nov 2015. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-set-close-six-6893427. Retrieved 15 Feb 2023.
- "THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN OUR INVESTIGATION". Merlin Entertainment. 17/05/2023. Archived from the original on 27/05/2023. https://archive.ph/F5rJz. Retrieved 17/05/2023.
- "Nemesis Sub-Terra | Alton Towers Resort". Merlin Entertainment. 17/05/2023. Archived from the original on https://archive.ph/FFzzm. https://archive.ph/FFzzm. Retrieved 17/05/2023.
- on the Dark Ride DataBase.
- Nemesis Sub-Terra on the parks website