|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|The ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain.|
|Onsite construction||Valley Iron|
|Type||Steel - 4th Dimension|
|Riders per train||8|
|Propulsion||Vertical chain lift hill|
|Top speed||59 km/h|
Vipère was an Intamin ZacSpin roller coaster that was planned to be at La Ronde in Montréal, Québec, Canada. It was due to open in 2022 and was formerly located at Six Flags Magic Mountain in California, where it was named Green Lantern: First Flight.
In 2010, Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that Gotham City Backlot would be renamed to DC Universe. The new area would be themed to DC Comics and would feature attractions inspired by Batman and the Flash. There would also be a new coaster called Green Lantern: First Flight.
Construction of Green Lantern: First Flight began in early 2011 when track pieces arrived at the park. The highest point of the ride was topped off on May 18, 2011.
Green Lantern: First Flight opened on July 1, 2011 following a press preview the previous day. Its opening was delayed by several weeks due to modifications being need to the station building. It was based on the DC Comics superhero Green Lantern. Green Lantern: First Flight received mixed reviews with some critics praising the forceful ride, but many others considering it a rough ride or even one of the worst roller coasters of all time. The awkward cars and unnatural movements of them was uncomfortable and often caused riders pain or even injuries.
During the 2014 season, Green Lantern: First Flight was forced to close due to an accident on Inferno at Terra Mítica in Spain where a passenger fell to his death.
The ride did not operate after late 2017 due to unknown reasons, and on March 23, 2019 Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that Green Lantern: First Flight would be removed from the park in the near future to make way for future developments. Its station will be reused for Wonder Woman Flight of Courage in 2022.
On 29 August 2019, it was announced that the ride would be relocated to La Ronde, where it would be renamed Vipère and placed on the former site of Super Manège, the park's Vekoma corkscrew coaster that closed in August 2019. The ride's components arrived at the park in the fall of 2019. It was originally scheduled to open for the 2020 season. However, the coronavirus pandemic caused Vipère's opening to be delayed until future notice. In February 2022, the project was abandoned. It is unknown what will become of the roller coaster as of now.
Single car trains. Riders are arranged 4 across in 2 rows for a total of 8 riders per car.
- ↑ Projects - Valley Iron
- ↑ "New Superman and Green Lantern Ride Coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain". https://nerdreactor.com/2010/10/21/new-superman-and-green-lantern-ride-coming-to-six-flags-magic-mountain/.
- ↑ "Green Lantern roller coaster arrives at Six Flags Magic Mountain". https://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-green-lantern-magic-mountain-02201104-story.html.
- ↑ "SFMM’s Green Lantern topped off". Coaster101. May 18, 2011. https://www.coaster101.com/2011/05/18/sfmms-green-lantern-topped-off/. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- ↑ "Green Lantern: First Flight opens at Six Flags Magic Mountain". https://parkthoughts.com/2011/07/01/green-lantern-first-flight-opens-at-six-flags-magic-mountain/.
- ↑ "Six Flags Magic Mountain pushes back debut of Green Lantern coaster". https://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-green-lantern-06201102-story.html.
- ↑ "Six Flags Magic Mountain launches Green Lantern: First Flight". Amusement Today. http://amusementtoday.com/backissues/at_august_2011_web.pdf.
- ↑ "Defunctland: The History of the Worst Six Flags Coaster, Green Lantern: First Flight". Defunctland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ZVpv0Y2vI.
- ↑ "7 Defunct Six Flags Magic Mountain Rides - Attraction Graveyard". The First Drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHspkcL6w0w.
- ↑ "'British' teenager dies after 'falling from rollercoaster' at the Terra Mitica in Benidorm". https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/british-teenager-dies-after-falling-from-rollercoaster-at-the-terra-mitica-in-benidorm-9590682.html.
- ↑ "Six Flags Magic Mountain officially puts out its Green Lantern". Theme Park Insider. https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201903/6676/.
- ↑ "Wonder Woman Flight of Courage to Debut at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2022". https://www.aceonline.org/news/584300/Wonder-Woman-Flight-of-Courage-to-Debut-at-Six-Flags-Magic-Mountain-in-2022.htm.
- ↑ "Canada's first ever free-fly roller coaster is coming to La Ronde next year". https://dailyhive.com/montreal/la-ronde-vipere-roller-coaster.
- ↑ "Eerste trackdelen nieuwe achtbaan La Ronde komen aan". https://themeparkfreaks.eu/2019/11/eerste-trackdelen-nieuwe-achtbaan-la-ronde-komen-aan/.
- ↑ "La Ronde Announces “Vipère” for 2020". Coaster101. August 29, 2019. https://www.coaster101.com/2019/08/29/la-ronde-announces-vipere-for-2020/. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- ↑ "The Opening Of La Ronde's New 'Free Fly' Roller Coaster Has Been Postponed". https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/qc/montreal/the-opening-of-la-rondes-new-roller-coaster-has-been-postponed.
- ↑ "La Ronde donne des nouvelles de la montagne russe «Vipère» qui devait ouvrir en 2020". https://www.narcity.com/fr/montreal/la-ronde-donne-des-nouvelles-de-la-montagne-russe-vipere-qui-devait-ouvrir-en-2020.
- ↑ "La Ronde schrapt komst nieuwe achtbaan". https://themeparkfreaks.eu/2022/02/la-ronde-schrapt-komst-nieuwe-achtbaan/.
- Vipère on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|La RondeArticles on|