|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Designer / calculations||Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH|
|Type||Steel - Hyper|
|Riders per train||30|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||85 mph|
Goliath is a steel hyper roller coaster located at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California, USA. It opened on February 11, 2000, and was the fastest complete-circuit coaster in the world. That record, however, was quickly eclipsed by Millennium Force at Cedar Point three months later.
The ride is one of three coasters designed and manufactured by Giovanola. The other two are Titan at Six Flags Over Texas and Anaconda at Gold Reef City. It is almost identical to Titan, which opened a year after Goliath. However, Titan has an extra helix prior to the mid-course brake run and thus has a longer track length. Goliath is one of two hyper coasters in California, with the other one being Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm.
On January 29, 1999, track pieces arrived at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It was then confirmed that the new attraction would be a hyper roller coaster. Vertical construction officially began in April 1999.
On November 11, 1999, Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that the new coaster would be named Goliath.
The ride opened on February 11, 2000.
A small error was made while the ride's parts were being manufactured by Giovanola. The very last track piece before the final brake run was about 6 inches (152.4 mm) too short. The mistake was found while the final piece was being bolted to the ride, and a supplementary track piece had to be made to fill the gap.
On June 2, 2001, a 28-year-old woman died after suffering brain damage while riding Goliath. While the ride was initially closed, it reopened later that day after an inspection. The following day, an autopsy failed to find a pre-existing condition and Goliath was once again closed for investigation. The ride was reopened on June 14 after OSHA investigators deemed the ride safe to operate.
- "Giovanola Track Spotted At Six Flags Magic Mountain". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/february99/news_feb99.shtml.
- "Construction Begins At Six Flags Magic Mountain". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/may99/newsbrief.shtml.
- "Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Another Giant". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/november99/stories/111199_01.shtml.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain Opens The New Giant - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- "The Bankruptcy of a Giovanola: The Final Coasters - Anaconda, Goliath & Titan | Expedition Extinct". Expedition Theme Park. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGPlz5YWak.
- "Seat Belts Added To Both Goliath And Full Throttle". The Coaster Guy. http://www.thecoasterguy.com/2013/11/24/seat-belts-added-goliath-full-throttle/.
- 28-Year Old Female Dies While Riding Goliath - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- Six Flags Magic Mountain Reopens Goliath Roller Coaster - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Fastest complete-circuit roller coaster|
February 2000 - May 2000
|Fastest complete-circuit roller coaster
February 2000 - May 2000