|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Déjà Vu at Six Flags Magic Mountain|
|Product||Giant Inverted Boomerang|
|Designer / calculations||Stefan Holtman|
|Type||Steel - Inverted - Shuttle|
|Propulsion||Catch car vertical lift|
|Top speed||65.6 mph|
|Manufacturer||Vekoma (2001-2012) |
Premier Rides (2013-2019)
|Riders per train||32|
Goliath was a steel inverted shuttle roller coaster located at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts, USA. The ride was one of six Giant Inverted Boomerangs built by Vekoma. The design is similar to Vekoma's Boomerang design, but riders instead hang from below the track, and there are vertical lifts on both ends. The ride opened August 25, 2001 at Six Flags Magic Mountain as Déjà Vu.
In December 2000, Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that Déjà Vu would be added to the park, along with X. This was a part of a plan to spend up to $30 million on new rides. Déjà Vu originally opened on August 25, 2001.
After ten years of operation, Déjà Vu closed on October 16, 2011 and was dismantled.
Déjà Vu was relocated to Six Flags New England, where it opened on May 25, 2012 as Goliath. The ride never seemed to fit in, as it was located right across from Flashback, a standard Vekoma boomerang model.
After moving to Six Flags New England, Goliath faced many maintenance issues and mechanical issues. It could not operate in the rain or in temperatures below 60° and suffered from constant downtime. Moreover, the ride received mixed reviews, as some praised the intensity and unique experience, but others disliked the new Premier Rides trains. These trains were added shortly after Goliath moved to Six Flags New England, and many said the new trains made the attraction much rougher and less comfortable.
Goliath closed after the 2019 season. It did not operate in the 2020 or 2021 season.
Goliath featured the standard Giant Inverted Boomerang layout, with two vertical towers, a cobra roll, and a vertical loop. The train moved out of the station backward, up one vertical spike, then went through the layout forwards. A second tower then dropped riders backwards through the layout. Finally, riders ascended the first vertical spike halfway, before being slowly lowered back into the station.
When Goliath was relocated to Six Flags New England, it sported the original Vekoma trains. However, the trains were soon swapped with trains made by Premier Rides. This was to increase rider capacity and to make boarding less complicated. They sat four riders per row as opposed to the traditional staggered seating trains built by Vekoma.
- "Magic Mountain to Add 3 New Rides in Bid to Become Coaster Capital". https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-dec-16-fi-735-story.html.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Opening of Deja Vu - Ultimate Rollercoaster
- "Pol calls for stiffer regs as Six Flags eyes Goliath coaster". https://www.bostonherald.com/2011/09/03/pol-calls-for-stiffer-regs-as-six-flags-eyes-goliath-coaster/.
- "Six Flags Magic Mountain to remove Deja Vu coaster". https://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-deja-vu-six-flags-new-england-08201119-story.html.
- 15 Roller Coasters That Could Be Gone Within The Next Five Years (2021)
- "Lost Coasters of California - Part 10: Déjà Vu - The Coaster Kings". https://www.thecoasterkings.com/lost-coasters-of-california-part-10-deja-vu/.
- "Six Flags New England". Screamscape. Archived from the original on 2021-09-28. https://web.archive.org/web/20210928204944/http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_new_england.htm. Retrieved 2021-09-30.
- "Goliath, Six Flags New England It appears demolition has begun, I’d say it’s going to the scrapyard.". bizarrosfne1. 10/30/2021. https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/qj70gb/goliath_six_flags_new_england_it_appears/.
- Goliath is Being Demolished at Six Flags New England
- "Six Flags New England sloopt achtbaan Goliath". https://themeparkfreaks.eu/2022/02/six-flags-new-england-sloopt-achtbaan-goliath/.
- "Six Flags New England - New Coaster, GOLIATH!". VisitMassachusetts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB114haAD4U.
- "...new train for Goliath?". Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/sixflagsne/posts/10150321741893740.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Six Flags Magic MountainArticles on|