|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Designer / calculations||John A. Miller|
|Type||Wooden - Terrain|
|Riders per train||18|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
Top speed45 mph
History[edit | edit source]
Designed by John A. Miller and built by Charlie Mach in 1920, Jack Rabbit is the joint-5th oldest operating roller coaster in the world. A popular early feature of the ride was a tunnel which covered the turnaround section after the first drop, but this was removed in 1947 when the new trains were ordered.
In 1991, the tunnel was restored, however it is a bit shorter than it had been.
The ride was built shortly after Miller patented a new track design in 1920 (which all wooden coasters built since have used). This design involved the use of wheels both under and over the track, which allowed Miller to create the then enormous 70 foot drop that is the attraction's largest.
Design[edit | edit source]
The ride features the world's only double dip, which is essentially a drop, then a small flat, leading to another drop. According to Rick Sebak, producer of Pittsburgh history programs for WQED, the attraction was designed so that each train's last seat would provide the strongest airtime, and therefore the most desired ride.
Trains[edit | edit source]
The current trains were manufactured by Edward Vettel, Sr. in 1951. These aging trains are considered an essential part of the nostalgic experience the ride has, but also lead to the need of the 36 inch height restriction, as only a small lapbar is used to restrain the riders.
Popularity[edit | edit source]
Jack Rabbit is most well known and popular among enthusiasts for its double dip following the lift hill. The double dip produces strong airtime that makes the rider feel lifted from their seat (they are perfectly safe), and a feeling that the train leaves the track. It is considered an ACE Coaster Classic.
[edit | edit source]
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Tallest roller coaster drop|
Big Dipper (Roton Point)
|Tallest roller coaster drop
Bobs (Riverview Park)
|Articles on Kennywood|