|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Steel Curtain in 2021|
|Manufacturer||S&S Sansei Technologies|
|Product||Looping Hyper Coaster|
|Designer / calculations||Joe Draves|
|Type||Steel - Hyper|
|Riders per train||24|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||75 mph|
Steel Curtain is a steel roller coaster at Kennywood in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, USA. The ride is manufactured by S&S Sansei Technologies and opened on July 13, 2019. It is part of Steeler's Country, a themed area based on the Pittsburgh Steelers American football team.
The ride replaced the former Log Jammer, which closed on September 17, 2017.
On September 14, 2017, Kennywood announced that Log Jammer, a log flume attraction, would be demolished after the 2017 season. Its last day of operation was September 17. While a replacement had not yet been revealed, the park announced that "exciting new developments" were planned.
On June 7, 2018, Kennywood revealed that they had broken ground on Project 412 (The phone number area code for Pittsburgh), a new attraction opening in 2019. The park published a "scratch-card" on social media, promising to reveal nine numbers relating to the new attraction. On July 4, following the reveal of the last number, Kennywood published a word search challenging viewers to find nine words and match one to each number. Twelve people who match each word correctly will be offered one of the first rides on the new attraction.
On July 19, 2018, Kennywood officially announced Steel Curtain. The facts that were revealed about the ride included that it would be manufactured by S&S, be 220 feet tall, feature the world's tallest inversion at 197 feet, 9 inversions (the most in North America) and be themed to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a local football team.
Steel Curtain took its first test run on June 22, 2019.
On August 3, 2019, Steel Curtain was closed for adjustments. It eventually reopened four days later on August 7.
Steel Curtain was manufactured by S&S and broke three records. One of these is the record for the world's tallest inversion (Drachen fire dive drop) at 197 feet. Another one is the record for the most inversions in North America, at 9. The final record is being the tallest coaster in Pennsylvania at 220 feet. Steel Curtain begins with a chain lift hill, which leads directly into the first inversion. The ride also features an unique structure featuring an airtime hill with a zero-g stall going directly underneath it.
There is some debate as to how many inversions the coaster actually has. Some people claim that the banana roll counts as just one inversion, and that the inversion count is actually eight. However, the inversion is shaped differently than normal, and riders invert proper twice, and so the ride has nine.
This is the largest coaster by S&S Sansei to date.
Steel Curtain ascends the 220 foot, 50 degree lift hill. Then, it dips down into the Drachen fire dive drop at 197 feet in the air, dropping 205 feet. This is followed by a left hand turn into the next inversion, a banana roll. Then, a stretched out bunny hill leads Steel Curtain into a sea serpent roll, followed by an airtime hill into a dive loop. A short section of straight track ensues, followed by a zero-g stall riding directly underneath the airtime hill track. Then, the train steps up into a corkscrew, diving to the right and entering a cutback. From there, Steel Curtain does an s-curve and hops into the brake run.
Steel Curtain is themed to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a local NFL team, and is part of Steelers Country, a new 3 acre (1.2 ha) area of Kennywood based on the team. "Steel Curtain" was the nickname given to the Steelers' defensive line during the 1970s, when the team won the Super Bowl four times in six years.
The dive loop
- "Kennywood Park's Log Jammer set to take its final plunge". https://archive.triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/kennywood-parks-log-jammer-set-to-take-its-final-plunge/.
- Kennywood's Log Jammer To Take Final Drops - Kennywood
- Kennywood Begins Teaser Campaign for New-for-2019 Attraction - NewsPlusNotes
- Kennywood Announces ‘Project 412’ Contest - CBS Pittsburgh
- "New Kennywood Coaster 'The Steel Curtain' Unveiled". https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/07/19/kennywood-project-412-roller-coaster-details/.
- "Kennywood Hard at Work Building The Steel Curtain Roller Coaster + New Track Arrives". NewsPlusNotes. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2018/09/kennywood-hard-at-work-building-steel.html.
- "The Steel Curtain Begins to Rise at Kennywood". NewsPlusNotes. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-steel-curtain-begins-to-rise-at.html.
- "Construction continues for Steel Curtain roller coaster at Kennywood Park". https://www.wtae.com/amp/article/tallest-piece-steel-curtain-roller-coaster-kennywood-park-pittsburgh-put-into-place/26859505.
- "Kennywood Steel Curtain Roller Coaster First Test Runs". Kennywood Amusement Park YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqaHEU8mvI.
- "Kennywood Announces Steel Curtain Open Date". https://dve.iheart.com/content/2019-06-28-kennywood-announces-steel-curtain-open-date/.
- "Steel Curtain, Kennywood's newest coaster, shuts down early on day of public premiere". https://www.post-gazette.com/life/recreation/2019/07/13/Steel-Curtain-Kennywood-s-newest-coaster-shuts-down-early-on-day-of-public-premier/stories/201907130058.
- "Kennywood's Steel Curtain roller coaster back in action". https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/08/kennywoods-steel-curtain-roller-coaster-back-in-action.html.
- "Get ready for the ride of your life on Kennywood's Steel Curtain". https://www.goerie.com/entertainmentlife/20190628/get-ready-for-ride-of-your-life-on-kennywoods-steel-curtain.
- "Kennywood Unveils New Steelers' Themed Vehicles for The Steel Curtain + New Animations". NewsPlusNotes. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2018/11/kennywood-unveils-new-steelers-themed.html.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Highest inversion on a roller coaster|
July 13, 2019-present
|Highest inversion on a roller coaster
July 13, 2019-present