|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Track layout||Double Out and Back|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||51 mph|
|Manufacturer||Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters|
|Riders per train||28|
Grizzly is a wooden roller coaster at Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia, USA. The grounds of the ride are densely forested, with the intended thrills heightened from the illusion of inadequate clearance between the track and trees.
The attraction opened in 1982 and the double-figure-eight layout is based closely on the defunct Coney Island Wildcat. A mirrored clone of this ride operates at California's Great America in Santa Clara, California.
Grizzly opened to the general public on March 27, 1982.
The attraction was given a refurbishment in 2016. The first and second hills were entirely retracked with fresh new wood and brand new running rails. Moreover, the station floor was completely redone. The original floor made out of laminated plywood sheets was replaced with fresh, sturdy wooden planks.
On November 7, 2022, the park announced that Grizzly was undergoing a refurbishment. Large parts of track have been removed from the coaster. In January 2023, the park revealed that Gravity Group were carrying out the refurbishment and that the work would include increasing the angle of the first drop from 45 to 55 degrees.
2 trains with 7 cars per train. In each car, riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows, for a total of 28 riders per train. The trains were built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters.
- ↑ Kings Dominion brochure - Shane's Amusement Attic
- ↑ "KD opening weekend 2016 photo update". https://buschdominion.com/2016/03/27/kd-preview-day-2016-photo-report/.
- ↑ "Restore the Roar: Rebirth of The Grizzly - Part 1". Kings Dominion. 2022-11-07. https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2022/the-rebirth-of-the-grizzly---part-1. Retrieved 2022-11-07.
- ↑ "Kings Dominion's Grizzly Coaster Undergoing Major Refurb From The Gravity Group". NewsPlusNotes. 2023-01-17. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2023/01/kings-dominions-grizzly-coaster.html. Retrieved 2023-01-19.
- Grizzly on the Roller Coaster DataBase.