|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Shockwave in 2014|
|Type||Steel - Stand-Up|
|Riders per train||24|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||50 mph|
In 2001, Togo went bankrupt due to a lawsuit with the infamous twin roller coaster Windjammer Surf Racers at California's Knott's Berry Farm. Due to Togo's bankruptcy, replacement parts for Shockwave were harder to find, and the ride's lines were shrinking because of other attractions such as Intimidator 305, Dominator, and, at the time, Volcano The Blast Coaster. On July 9, 2015, Kings Dominion announced that Shockwave would close permanently on August 9, 2015 after serving over 22 million riders. On August 20, 2015, Kings Dominion announced that Shockwave would be replaced in 2016 by Delirium, a Mondial frisbee ride. The ride was demolished for scrap metal in November 2015. Shockwave was the last of three Togo stand-up roller coasters built in the North America to close, and is also the last Togo coaster in the U.S. to close, leaving just one Togo roller coaster in the U.S. left in operation, which is the Big Apple Coaster, a hypercoaster located at New York, New York Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The ride had a vertical loop, the ride's only inversion, followed by a rise into a downward helix. Two airtime hills, separated by a 180 degree turn followed. The ride was very similar to King Cobra, which opened at Kings Island two years prior to Shockwave.
On August 23, 1999, a 20-year-old man was killed after he fell from Shockwave. An investigation found that he had partially but intentionally taken off his restraint, and his disregard of the safety rules prompted his death. A further investigation found the restraints to be working properly.
- "Let the good times roll".
- "It's the last weekend for Kings Dominion's Shockwave roller coaster". https://richmond.com/business/its-the-last-weekend-for-kings-dominions-shockwave-roller-coaster/article_751d0234-a8bc-584c-b043-728a992a2502.html#:~:text=%E2%80%9CI%20loved%20it%2C%20but%20the%20movement%20was%20a,row%20rather%20than%20four%2C%20as%20many%20coasters%20do..
- Kings Dominion Announces the Retirement of Shockwave - NewsPlusNotes
- "Delirium thrill ride to replace Shockwave at Kings Dominion". https://roanoke.com/news/virginia/delirium-thrill-ride-to-replace-shockwave-at-kings-dominion/article_3977087a-8189-5eb2-b2f6-309423ca0199.html.
- "Kings Dominion Shares Shockwave Demolition Photos". NewsPlusNotes. http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2015/12/kings-dominion-shares-shockwave.html.
- "Kings Dominion victim partly removed restraint", The News Leader (August 27, 1999), pp. 3. Retrieved on April 24, 2021.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.