|Description||Riders are restrained while standing up.|
|Manufacturers||Bolliger & Mabillard - Intamin - Togo|
|First Installation||Dangai (1982)|
|Oldest in Operation||Momonga Standing and Loop Coaster (1982)|
|Newest Installation||Freestyle (2015) (incl. relocations)
Georgia Scorcher (1999) (excl. relocations)
A stand-up roller coaster features trains with cars that are ridden in a standing position. These rides are generally very intense and often carry a higher height restriction than most roller coasters.
While popular in the 1980s and 90s, stand-up roller coasters have since fallen out of fashion, with many being either removed or converted to floorless roller coasters during the 2010s. The last new stand-up roller coaster is Freestyle, which opened in 2015. This, however, was a relocation, so the last brand new standup coaster to open was Georgia Scorcher at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1999.
Notable stand-up roller coasters
- Dangai - The oldest ride of this type. It opened in 1982.
- Shockwave - The only ride of this type manufactured by Intamin that is still in operation (as of 2019), as well as being the only ride of this type to include a zero-g roll. It opened in 1994.
- Momonga Standing and Loop Coaster - The oldest operating ride of this type. It opened in 1979 as a sit-down roller coaster, but was changed to stand-up in 1982; one day after the opening of Dangai.
- The Riddler's Revenge - The tallest, fastest, and longest stand-up roller coaster in the world. It also features the most inversions, with six.
- The only accident happened on Fujin Rajin 2.
|Roller coaster types|
|Track materials||Hybrid • Steel • Wooden|
|Scale||Kiddie • Family • Hyper (200+ feet) • Giga (300+ feet) • Strata (400+ feet)|
|Train configurations||4th Dimension • Bobsled • Floorless • Flying • Inverted • Motorbike (Steeplechase) • Pipeline • Side Friction • Spinning (Virginia Reel) • Stand-Up • Suspended • Winged|
|Track layouts||Figure 8 • Out and Back • Twister • U-shuttle • Wacky Worm (Big Apple) • Wild Mouse|
|Multi-tracked||Number of tracks: 2 (twin, möbius) • 3 (triple) • 4 (quad) • 6 (sextuple)|
|Style||Diving • Mine Train • Water (liquid)|
|Situation||Enclosed • Indoor • Terrain • Travelling|
|Track configurations||Single rail|