|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Product||Four Man Bob|
|Designer / calculations||Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH|
|Type||Steel - Enclosed|
|Propulsion||Tire propelled lift |
Chain lift hill
|Manufacturer||KumbaK (2004-present) |
|Riders per train||3|
Astro Storm is a steel enclosed roller coaster at Brean Theme Park in Brean, Somerset, England, UK. The ride opened at Blackpool Pleasure Beach on 21 August 1984, was closed in 2008 and it was relocated to Brean Leisure Park in mid-2010.
Space Invader began operation in 1984.
The roller coaster underwent a refurbishment in 2004. KumbaK fitted a new lift hill drive and chain, magnetic brakes, a new control system and new cars. The refurbished ride opened as Space Invader 2 in April.
On 8 September 2008, riders were evacuated from Space Invader 2, and the roller coaster did not reopen. The ride remained in place until 2010, when it was sold to Brean Theme Park. The building that housed Space Invader 2 still stands today. Blue Flyer (formerly called the Little Dipper) passes through a tunnel contained within the building.
The roller coaster opened at Brean Theme Park on 23 July 2011 as Astro Storm. A new structure was constructed around the roller coaster at Brean.
Single cars. Riders are arranged inline in 3 rows, for a total of 3 riders per car.
On 21 July 2000, 11-year-old Christopher Sherratt died after falling from the roller coaster and being hit by another car. An investigation found that the ride had been operating normally, and the boy must have been leaning out of the vehicle.
Photographs of Astro Storm in 2019.
- ↑ "KumbaK upgrades Port Aventura coasters". Park World Online. https://web.archive.org/web/20081013185930/http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/189/KumbaK_upgrades_Port_Aventura_coasters.html.
- ↑ "Space Invader 2". KumbaK The Amusement Engineers. https://web.archive.org/web/20120425070102/http://www.kumbakcoasters.com/space_invaders.html.
- ↑ "Space Invader 2". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/spaceinvader_blackpool.
- ↑ "New Astro Storm rollercoaster to open at Brean Leisure Park". https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/astro-storm-opens-20-07-11/.
- ↑ "Boy's rollercoaster death 'accidental'". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1628375.stm.
- Astro Storm on the Roller Coaster DataBase.