|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Manufacturer||Rocky Mountain Construction|
|Designer / calculations||Alan Schilke|
|Type||Steel - Hyper - Hybrid|
|Riders per train||24|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||74 mph|
|Airtime points: 28 - HELP|
Steel Vengeance is a steel roller coaster located at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, USA. It was built by Rocky Mountain Construction and uses much of the wooden support structure of the former Mean Streak roller coaster.
Mean Streak closed on September 16, 2016. In July 2017, some additional details were revealed about the ride at a media preview day. Cedar Point stated that they were aiming for a May 2018 opening and the ride's first drop would be larger than 200 feet. The roller coaster was officially unveiled at noon on August 16, 2017.
The ride officially opened on May 5, 2018. On opening day, an incoming train collided with another one in the station. No guests were hospitalized and Steel Vengeance was closed for investigation. It reopened the next day on May 6, albeit on one train operation. On June 1, a second train returned to operation.
For the 2019 season, a metal detector was installed in the queue line.
According to Cedar Point, Steel Vengeance broke 15 different records when it opened in 2018. These include the record for world's tallest hybrid roller coaster at 205 feet, the world's fastest hybrid roller coaster at 74 mph, the longest hybrid roller coaster at 5,740 feet and the most airtime on any roller coaster in the world, with a total 27.2 s of airtime. While the records for tallest and fastest hybrid now belong to Zadra and Iron Gwazi, Steel Vengeance is still the longest.
Directly after the ride leaves the station the ride makes a 180 degree turn, passes over 2 bunny hills, then goes up the chain lift hill. After the lift hill, the ride drops 200 feet at 90 degrees which is where it reaches it's top speed at 74 mph. The ride then goes up a small airtime hill at full speed. This is then followed by a much larger airtime hill. Next, riders experience an outer banked hill and dip to the right. After that, there is another airtime hill before going into the first inversion, which is a zero-g roll (variant). Then the train dips right under the lift hill and goes through an over-banked turn. This leads into the second inversion, a zero-g stall. This is the second time riders pass through the lift hill structure. After a small airtime hill, the ride goes up a larger hill. This leads to a block brake. The train then navigates a smaller over-banked turn, goes up an airtime hill, then upward into a slightly over-banked turn. This is followed by a small drop which leads into the third inversion, another zero-g roll. The ride goes through a double up, an over-banked turn, and a final zero-g roll. The ride ends with an over-banked turn and four more airtime hills.
Steel Vengeance broke ten records:
- World's tallest hybrid roller coaster at 205 feet tall.
- World's fastest hybrid roller coaster at 74 mph.
- World's steepest drop on a hybrid roller coaster at 90 degrees.
- World's longest drop on a hybrid roller coaster 200 feet.
- World's longest hybrid roller coaster at 5,740 feet.
- Most inversions on a hybrid roller coaster at four.
- Fastest airtime hill on a hybrid roller coaster at 74 mph.
- Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster at 27.2 s.
- Most airtime on any roller coaster at 27.2 s.
- World's first hyper hybrid roller coaster
- Cedar Point paired up with gaming developer Frontier to release a replica of Steel Vengeance on their groundbreaking theme park game Planet Coaster. The only other Cedar Fair coaster to do this is Copperhead Strike at Carowinds.
- "Cedar Point Murders the Mean Streak, A Record Breaking Coaster". https://614now.com/2016/uncategorized/cedar-point-murders-the-mean-streak-a-record-breaking-coaster.
- Cedar Point set to announce new attraction for 2018 season - 13abc
- Cedar Point’s new coaster has a bumpy opening day - Fox8 Cleveland
- "Cedar Point adds metal detectors at Steel Vengeance roller coaster to enforce loose article policy". https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/places/cedar-point/cedar-point-adds-metal-detectors-at-steel-vengeance-roller-coaster-to-enforce-loose-article-policy/95-1e2d4282-a44f-436d-aa76-477e2e78f399.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.