|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Big One, taken from the promenade.|
|Type||Steel - Hyper|
|Riders per train||30|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||119.1 km/h|
Big One is a steel hyper roller coaster located at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK. The ride was formerly sponsored by Pepsi, during which time it was called Pepsi Max Big One. It is the tallest roller coaster in the United Kingdom and the tallest in the world when it opened on 28 May 1994. The ride was designed by Arrow Dynamics and manufactured by British firm Watson Steel, with Allott and Lomax acting as consultant.
At some point in the 1990s, both the first drop and the turnaround were reprofiled. Some of the old track was reused in the facade for Valhalla, where it remained until the replacement of the facade during the 2011-12 off-season. Big One track was also used in the facade for the Lost Dinosaurs of the Sahara ride at Pleasureland Southport, which was destroyed by fire in 2009.
For the 2012 season, the Pepsi Max branding was dropped from the name.
From 2019 onwards, track began to be replaced in portions of the ride. Over the 2019/20 closed season, the section passing under the lift hill was retracked, while the ride's ending was retracked over the 2020/21 closed season. The work was conducted by Taziker, a local engineering firm, and was believed to be a phased project happening over multiple closed seasons.
In July 1994, shortly after the opening of the roller coaster, a computer fault caused two trains to collide injuring 26 people. It reopened on August 31. A similar incident occurred again on 31 August 2000 when 20 people were injured as two trains collided at low speed in the station.
- "National Rollercoaster day is sounding amazing for The Big One". Amusement Today. 15 August 2019. http://amusementtoday.com/2019/08/national-rollercoaster-day-is-sounding-amazing-for-the-big-one/. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- Pepsi Max - The Big One - Engineering Timelines
- Anniversary Features - Coaster Kingdom
- Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Theme Park Review
- Early Changes to The Big One - CoasterForce
- "Big One reopens", The Guardian.
- "20 hurt in Blackpool rollercoaster crash", The Guardian.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Tallest complete-circuit roller coaster|
May 1994 - July 1996
|Tallest complete-circuit roller coaster
May 1994 - July 1996