|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Manufacturer||Bolliger & Mabillard|
|Type||Steel - Giga|
|Riders per train||32|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||91 mph|
Orion is a steel giga roller coaster located at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio, USA. It replaced Firehawk, a Vekoma Flying Dutchman, which closed on October 28, 2018, as well as the Dinosaurs Alive upcharge walk-through attraction. It is the third giga coaster built by Bolliger & Mabillard, after Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland in 2012 and Fury 325 at Carowinds in 2015. Orion opened to season pass holders on July 2 until the 11th and opened to the general public on July 12.
The track layout was completed in January 2020. On February 22, the coaster completed its first test run. It was planned to open on April 11, 2020. However, this was delayed indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The ride opened to season passholders on July 2, 2020 and opened to the public ten days later on July 12.
The lift hill is 287 feet tall. The bottom of the first drop is below ground level, allowing it to be 300 feet tall and thus Orion is a giga roller coaster.
The track has been filled with sand to reduce the noise created by the ride.
Orion is themed after a future-Earth population of humans trying to escape a titanic meteor storm and reach another habitable planet in the constellation of Orion, featured on the ride logo. The program needs volunteers to be a success, and the coaster acts as a simulator. As part of the project, the X-Base area of park, also home to Flight of Fear, received a makeover and became Area 72, a spaceflight, military research facility. Flight of Fear and the surrounding area all got the makeover.
A ton of easter eggs referencing other Cedar Fair coasters, including Magnum XL-200, Firehawk, Disaster Transport, and even Vortex and Volcano The Blast Coaster. The old fountains from the park's International Street midway were recycled to use as props in the queue. The ride even has a preshow building.
- "Kings Island Announces 2020 Season Opening Dates". Kings Island. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/park-update.
- "Kings Island Orion train cars revealed". WCPO. https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/kings-island-orion-train-cars-revealed.
- Helbig, Don. "Kings Island Begins Testing Orion". Kings Island. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/february/kings-island-begins-testing-orion. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Orion giga coaster drops into Kings Island". Coaster101. https://www.coaster101.com/2020/07/02/orion-giga-coaster-drops-into-kings-island/.
- "Kings Island Taking Steps To Respond To Neighbors' Noise Concerns". WVXU. https://www.wvxu.org/post/kings-island-taking-steps-respond-neighbors-noise-concerns.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.