|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
|A promotional image released alongside the ride's announcement on August 30, 2018|
|Manufacturer||S&S Sansei Technologies|
|Product||Air Launched Coaster|
|Designer / calculations||Joe Draves|
|Type||Steel - Launched|
|Riders per train||16|
|Propulsion||Compressed air launch|
|Top speed||78 mph|
Maxx Force is a steel launched roller coaster located at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois, USA. After months of teasing from the removal of the Pictorium, Maxx Force was announced on August 30, 2018. It was manufactured by S&S Sansei Technologies, opening on July 4, 2019.
In May 2018, the Pictorium, a 980-seat IMAX theater that opened in 1979 as the "world's largest cinema experience", was completely torn down to make way for a new attraction set to open in 2019. Between August 2 to August 23, 2018, Six Flags Great America released four episodes of a teaser series titled "Road to Glory" on social media. In these episodes, a racer appropriately named "Maxx" races around the park as referees cheer him on.
On August 30, 2018, Maxx Force was announced.
In December 2018, track pieces had already arrived at the park. Maxx Force then went vertical on January 15, 2019 shown at the American Coaster Enthusiasts event that took place on January 19, 2019. On May 13, 2019, the last piece of track was placed towards the end of the ride.
A passholder's preview was held on July 3. Maxx Force officially opened a day later on July 4.
After the 2019 season, Six Flags worked in conjunction with a sound engineer to review the noise level generated by Maxx Force. The launch system was so loud that it could be heard all throughout the park and surrounding areas of Gurnee. To reduce noise complaints, the company made modifications to the launch system, such as the addition of sound barriers.
For the 2022 season, the park added a single rider line to the attraction.
Maxx Force is a compressed air launch coaster manufactured by S&S Worldwide which features 5 inversions, including the world's fastest heartline roll taken at 60 mph and the world's tallest double inversion, a dog tongue at 175 feet. The ride also features the launch with the highest acceleration in America, launching from 0 - 78 mph in 1.8 seconds (1.78 g's of acceleration).
Maxx Force's layout is very straight-forward; after the initial 78 mph air launch, Maxx Force goes through a tunnel and steps up into the 175 foot dog tongue, followed by a right-hand turn underneath the step up. Then it enters the 60 mph heartline roll, rising upwards into the double inverting dive loop or "Maxx dive loop", which is an incomplete zero-g roll immediately followed by a dive loop.
2 trains with 4 cars per train. In each car, riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows, for a total of 16 riders per train. The coaster's trains are modeled after Formula One race cars. The 2 trains colors are red and black.
The heartline roll
- ↑ "The Pictorium, Great America's IMAX pioneer, bids a sudden & quiet departure". https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/opinion/ct-lns-six-flags-great-america-pictorium-st-0613-story.html.
- ↑ "New Six Flags Great America Roller Coaster Maxx Force Will Be Triple-Record Breaker". https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08/30/maxx-force-new-six-flags-great-america-roller-coaster/.
- ↑ "Eerste trackdelen Maxx Force aangekomen in Six Flags Great America". https://themeparkfreaks.eu/2019/01/eerste-trackdelen-maxx-force-aangekomen-in-six-flags-great-america/.
- ↑ "Track van Maxx Force in Six Flags Great America is klaar". https://themeparkfreaks.eu/2019/05/track-van-maxx-force-in-six-flags-great-america-is-klaar/.
- ↑ "Maxx Force launch coaster: 0 to 78 mph in less than 2 seconds". CNN Travel. https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/maxx-force-launch-coaster-six-flags-great-america-illinois/index.html.
- ↑ "Maxx Force Opens Today, the USA's Fastest Acceleration.". http://www.amusementinsider.com/2019/07/maxx-force-opens-today-usas-fastest.html.
- ↑ "Six Flags Great America Maxx Force Noise Concerns". https://www.gurnee.il.us/residents/community-info/six-flags-great-america-maxx-force-noise-concerns.
- ↑ "Six Flags Great America in Gurnee is set to open for the season this week. Here's what's new.". https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/2022/04/13/illinois-gurnee-six-flags-great-america-open-2022-season-week/7303099001/.
- Maxx Force on the Roller Coaster DataBase.