|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Type||Steel - Bobsled|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||35 mph|
|Riders per train||8|
Alpine Bobsled is a steel bobsled roller coaster currently located at Great Escape in Queensbury, New York, USA. It was designed by Intamin.
This roller coaster was first constructed at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, where it opened on May 9, 1984. It was named Sarajevo Bobsled, a nod to the Winter Olympics held in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia and the Summer Olympics which would be held in Los Angeles, California. The roller coaster was not officially licensed by the International Olympic Committee. That same year, a very similar roller coaster also called Sarajevo Bobsled opened at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California. Sarajevo Bobsled was dismantled in 1988 and replaced by the Great American Scream Machine the year after.
In 1989, the roller coaster reopened at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois and was called Rolling Thunder. It closed in 1995 and was stored in a parking lot until being sent to Great Escape, where it opened in 1998 as Alpine Bobsled.
6 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 4 rows, for a total of 8 riders per car.
When the ride first opened at Six Flags Great Adventure, riders sat inline with a maximum of six riders per car. Prior to its assembly at Six Flags Great America, the cars were modified to increase their capacity to eight riders.
- On July 22, 1987, a 33-year old man broke two bones in his leg while boarding the Sarajevo Bobsled at Six Flags Great Adventure. A ride operator had mistakenly started the ride while he was still boarding.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Sarajevo Bobsled". GreatAdventureHistory. http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Sarajevo%20Bobsled.htm.
- ↑ "More Additions With Investment At Great Escape", Rutland Daily Herald.
- ↑ "Mishaps, violence take a toll", The Courier-News (August 11, 1987), pp. 1. Retrieved on May 5, 2021.
- Alpine Bobsled on the Roller Coaster DataBase.
|Six Flags Great AmericaArticles on|
|Six Flags Great AdventureArticles on|