|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Manufacturer||Bolliger & Mabillard|
|Designer / calculations||Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH|
|Type||Steel - Inverted|
|Riders per train||32|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||50 mph|
Batman The Ride is a steel inverted roller coaster located at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, USA. This ride, along with many other copies, was designed and built by Bolliger & Mabillard. It opened on May 1, 1993.
In 1992, Six Flags Great Adventure rethemed their Fun Fair section to Action Town, and introduced the Batman Stunt Show. Later, they announced the addition of Batman The Ride, which had been a popular favorite at Six Flags Great America that year, in the coming year. To advertise, the Batmobile and a video screen showing footage of the Six Flags Great America version were put up in Action Town. Construction began shortly afterward.
On May 1, 1993, Batman The Ride opened at Six Flags Great Adventure in the newly-christened Movietown section, replacing Lightnin' Loops. The queue line was themed to Gotham City, with a sign for Wayne Enterprises, a fountain, a crashed cop car, graffiti, junk and a storm drain tunnel all elements in the set piece. The station was themed to the Batcave and featured the Batsuit. The queue line and station played Danny Elfman's score and Prince's soundtrack from the 1989 Batman movie directed by Tim Burton. Also, before guests departed the station, they would hear a recording of Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Gough) telling riders to "hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride," referring to the storyline of the ride about guests escaping on one of Batman's many vehicles.
In 2004, the park started removing the extensive theming in the queue and changed the track's colour scheme from black to yellow. However, the score and soundtrack in the queue station still remain, as of May 2019.
Batman The Ride ran backwards halfway through the 2015 season.
The ride was repainted for the 2022 season.
- "Batman The Ride". GreatAdventureHistory. http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/BTR.htm.
- "Holy Gut-Wrencher! Batman the Ride!". https://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/28/arts/holy-gut-wrencher-batman-the-ride.html.
- "Batman roller coaster goes into reverse gear this summer at Six Flags Great Adventure". https://www.nj.com/mercer/2015/03/batman_the_rollercoaster_to_ride_in_reverse_this_s.html.
- "Six Flags Great Adventure Announces the Return of Medusa + Tons of 2022 Changes". NewsPlusNotes. 2022-03-06. https://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2022/03/six-flags-great-adventure-announces.html. Retrieved 2022-03-07.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.