|Click here to watch the on-ride POV|
|Manufacturer||Bolliger & Mabillard|
|Type||Steel - Hyper|
|Track layout||L-Shaped Out and Back|
|Riders per train||36|
|Propulsion||Chain lift hill|
|Top speed||80 mph|
Nitro is a steel hyper roller coaster located at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, USA. Opened on April 7, 2001, it was the third Bolliger & Mabillard Hyper Coaster installation after Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America. The ride is 230 feet tall, has a 215 foot tall drop and a top speed of "nearly 80 mph".
Construction of a new roller coaster began in August 2000. Rumored names for the attraction included "Superman Krypton Coaster", even though the colors of the ride weren't blue and red like the other Superman rides. The ride's structure began to rise in December 2000. The ride's name Nitro was officially announced on February 1, 2001.
At the time of its opening, it was the fastest roller coaster in New Jersey and the tallest roller coaster on the East Coast. It has the third steepest drop from a lift hill in the park, behind El Toro (Kingda Ka is not counted as it is a launched roller coaster). Nitro's lift hill once featured signs on the stairways comparing its height to landmarks such as Niagra Falls, however these have since been removed.
A single rider entrance was added for the 2022 season.
- On a clear night, the Philadelphia skyline (which is 55 miles away) is visible from the top of the ride.
- The Mortal Kombat Annihilation remix of "Techno Syndrome" by The Immortals plays in the station. As of 2021, it has been changed to a playlist of songs, including "Derezzed" by Daft Punk (but still using "Techno Syndrome"), likely because of the Mortal Kombat movie being released that year.
- The lift and final brakerun of the coaster passes of the water reservoir for the nearby Congo Rapids
- Bove, Alex. "Nitro Delivers Power and Finesse at Great Adventure". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/april01/stories/041201_01.shtml#photos. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Nitro Extreme Thrill Coaster to Blast Off In One Month". Ultimate Rollercoaster. https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/march01/stories/031301_01.shtml. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Nitro". GreatAdventureHistory. http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Nitro.htm.
- Nitro Unveiled At Six Flags Great Adventure - Six Flags Great Adventure
- "Six Flags Great Adventure brings back Medusa and other changes for 2022". https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/03/six-flags-great-adventure-brings-back-medusa-and-other-changes-for-2022.html.
- on the Roller Coaster DataBase.